Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wallowing

I suppose clean could be a subjective term.  I think that sometimes I am not the most immaculate person in the world, but I do like things tidy.  Kevin has informed me that since he got married, he has forgotten how to pick-up after himself, do laundry, or any other homemaking task.   To his credit, he does the dishes and takes out the trash, so I won't complain too much.  He has however, created his own definition of clean.  I am not sure I completely understand it, but I will give a few examples of some of the things that have made me wonder what goes on in his head.

Kevin has a habit of putting shirts, shorts, or anything he has worn, but doesn't deem "dirty" in a corner of the bed. Socks that he has decided are not "dirty" get placed in the middle of the bedroom floor. (if they go on your foot, in my opinion, they are dirty) One day, as I was gathering laundry, I asked my usual question"Is there anything here that you would like me to wash?", but this time I may have added "-or would you like to continue wallowing in your own filth?"  I thought I was funny.  Apparently I struck a chord.  I offended him.  This is not unusual I think I do this on a regular basis.  He of course opted to wallow for a bit longer.  Now any time I asked about anything, he likes to mention that he is enjoying wallowing.

Shoes are another area that confuses me.  I think that shoes in the middle of the floor are an obstacle, an object that possesses impending doom for the clumsy such as myself.  Not to mention that they look sloppy and out of place.  To Kevin, this makes them accessible and easy to find.  When I am cleaning, I enjoy putting them back into his closet on his shoe rack.  This, of course, makes me feel like I have tidied my house and it looks neat.  Each time I do this I know that I am about to get reprimanded for it.

Finally, the last thing is the cup.  If your mouth touches it, bacteria are breeding and growing.  This is a problem to me.  Kevin would keep the same cup on the counter for him to keep re-using for weeks at a time if I would let him.  If I put it in the dishwasher, I am in trouble because he didn't get good enough use from it. We have plenty of cups.  There are enough replacements.  Recently, I will replace it without  his knowledge and put the dirty one in the dishwasher.  I love him too much to allow him to get sick.

If you do not believe me about the shoes and socks.  Here is photographic proof.

2 comments:

Lisha said...

I have the same problem with Jay and cups. He thinks that if he's only used it once that I should leave it out for him to use again, even if I'm loading the dishwasher. *sigh* And apparently having 5 pairs of shoes scattered around the door is perfecly acceptable.

LindsayB said...

oh my heavens! i have you beat. derek neatly folds his clothes and then...put them on the floor! i just don't get it. if those jeans and shirt happen to still be clean and you are willing to put forth the effort, then hang them up, seriously. however, i'm guilty of the cup thing, but only for half the day. either breakfast and lunch are the same or lunch and supper are the same. it encourages me to drink water...