Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What's in a name?


To me, a name is a defining part of life. I think that people make instant assumptions and biases based solely on someone's name. Just think of all the kids that get teased because of the names that their parents lovingly gave the and that those same parents thought was adorable. I know some people have had the names that they want to name their future spawn picked out from childhood.  I can't say that I have that problem, but I do have a problem over-thinking this issue.  If I knew of someone with a particular name, I associate them with other people of that name. I don't want to think of some stuck-up jerk, or annoying kid every time I see that darling face that is made from my DNA. I can't get into the Mormon trend of making up strange names. Once again, you aren't giving your poor child a fighting chance unless it is a method of toughening them up, but I think there are better ways. They are the ones tied to that poor name forever.  
So why am I talking about this? Well, my husband and I have some pretty different ideas of what is an appropriate name. We will only discuss male names because he "only makes boys". In fact, he told me that if it is not a boy, I have some explaining to do. (is there an emoticon for eye rolling?).  Well, for those of you that know us, we have discussed names of our spawn for quite some time. It started back about 6 years ago when we were hiking Angel's Landing in Zion's National Park.  Kevin saw carved in stone the name Klaus. Since then, he has had this horrible idea make that the name of his first born son, but not just Klaus, Klaus Nicholas. You know, his nickname could be Santa, or St. Nick. Well, that was the starting point. His love for America and the founding fathers has had him wanting a George Washington, Thomas Jefferson (the elder statesman), and Abraham Lincoln.  His 'refined' side loves the name Giorgio Armani Hill.  His narcissistic side loves Fitzkevin Darcy (I'd actually go for Fitzy),  Kevin-Kevin, or Kevlar.  His athletic side wants Truman (the Truth), or FAMOUS Hill (just call him Fame) and these are just a few.  
I can only say 2 things. I either hope we have a girl, or it is a really good thing that we are both big, so our kid's will be able to defend themselves when they get bullied. 

7 comments:

Jared said...

You guys kill me. haha Claus aka Santa sounds like a creeper. I hope you don't land on that one. :)

Chelsey

Lisha said...

Naming a child is so difficult! When I was pregnant with Paxton I went through a website with 2500 names one by one until I came up with a list of 10 boy names and 2 girl names (those are the only ones I liked). And even though I thought I'd found names that couldn't be twisted at all I'm sure some mean little kid could totally figure something out.

And seriously, Santa? I have an unhealthy love for Christmas but even I wouldn't go that far :)

Good luck!

Kristi said...

Shut your face your prego??!!!! That's awesome Friend. You are gonna LOVE being a mama!!! Horray my sexy roomie, hooray. And about the name...yeah...good luck. I had a hard time too. I mean, my last name is Rudolph for heaven sake!!

Ellen said...

Does he realize that the sperm determines the sex of the baby? If he doesn't like the baby's gender, he will have no one to blame but himself. Also, I highly recommend The Baby Wizard. It gives the baby name, how it's trended over the past century, negative associations, cross references to other names like it. Good luck!

Bev said...

I was laughing at all the creativeness Kevin came up with, hilarious. When exactly you going to be coming through Utah? We need to plan a reunion, with the old roomies!!

Courtney Bardsley said...

CATHY!!!!
Oh I'm so glad I found your blog!! I miss you so much! I met your sister a couple of weeks ago and she is adorable! So fun to finally meet her! Congrats on the pregnancy! And you know if its a girl you know you want to name her Courtney after the cool chick that you poked every week!!! Hahaha Hope all is well!

Courtney Bardsley

Marianne and James said...

OMG! I can"t even breath right now. U r prego! Oh I need a paper bag. I am so dang excited. We have #3 coming in a couple months. James thinks it would b a great idea to combine both of our parents names... Marlene & Donna & u get Madonna. He says that way it has great family meaning plus u dont have to do a middle name or even last name for that matter. Ugh! NAMES R HARD! But on to better things.....u r prego aaa! that is the best news ever. Diane is having her 3rd any second now....keep u posted!